ROBBEN ISLAND MUSEUM BURSARY APPLICATION 2024/2025
Robben Island Museum Bursary 2024/2025 – get all details and eleigibility criteria to help submit your RIM Bursary 2024 before the closing date
ABOUT THE COMPANY – ROBBEN ISLAND MUSEUM
Robben Island was first used as a prison in the 17th century. The Dutch East India Company used the island to imprison convicts and slaves. In the 19th century, the British used the island to imprison political prisoners and other undesirables.
In 1961, the South African government established a maximum-security prison on Robben Island. The prison was used to imprison political prisoners, including Nelson Mandela, who was sent to the island in 1964. Mandela spent 18 years on Robben Island, where he was subjected to harsh conditions and isolation.
ABOUT ROBBEN ISLAND MUSEUM BURSARY PROGRAMME – ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- The bursary is open to South African graduates and under graduates who have
- applied independently to a South African University for the 2019 academic year.
- The bursary is open to successful applicants who are registered to study accredited courses related to Museums and Heritage studies, Social Science, History or Oral History and Heritage.
- The bursary is limited to R33,000, per successful applicant, to partially cover tuition fees.
- Successful applicants will be required to do an Internship and Research programme at RIM Public Heritage Education Department (RIM PHED).
- Successful applicants will be required to participate and offer assistance in various RIM programmes.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE RIM BURSARY?
In order apply for the Robben Island bursary, you need to complete and submit the following documentation:
1. Write a motivation letter, stating why you should be considered for the Robben Island Museum Bursary.
2. Your curriculum vitae (Which must include all your contact details, as well as the names and contact details of your referees).
3. Please attach certified copies of tertiary level qualifications obtained.
4. Proof of registration, in one of the courses mentioned in 2 under the conditions of the bursary, at a university for the 2024 academic year.
Return your application to the following address:
Please submit documentation to:
Ms Vanessa Mitchell
Public Heritage Education Department
Robben Island Museum
27 21 4134200/4095100
BURSARY CLOSING DATE
7 July 2023
LIST OF BURSARIES FOR 2024