FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY APPLICATION 2024
Funza Lushaka Bursary Application 2024/2025 – Get details information and guideline on how to apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary 2024 before the closing date.
FUNZA BURSARY ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Applications from individuals who have been charged with any misconduct, with criminal record or fired from work will not be accepted for Funza Lushaka bursary.
- Employees who work for Higher Education Institutions are not be eligible for the programme. Their spouses cannot apply for this bursary.
- In order to be a successful applicant of Funza Lushaka, you must already have been admitted into a Bachelor of Education or Post Graduate Certificate in Education qualification at an accredited South African university.
- The applicant must satisfy requirements for the national selection criteria for the Funza Lushaka bursary programme for 2024. Click here to read the national selection criteria.
For the bursary to be awarded to the applicant, two priority area subjects must be included as a specialisation in the qualification for teaching. This excludes the Foundation Phase specialization.
All applicants are liable for paying for their registrations fee while waiting for the feedback of their application. Making payments for the registration fee does not mean your bursary application has been succesful.
The Bursary Selection Committee holds its meeting to process all bursary applications during the months of February and March of each year.
Each university has a Funza Lushaka Bursary Coordinator who is responsible for notifying applicants whether they have been awarded the bursary or not. This must happen before 30 April each year.
Successful applicants who have been awarded the bursary are not allowed to change their area of specialisation the bursary was awarded for. This would have been specified on the application.
Student who have received the bursary will be required to take up a provincial teaching post. This must happen upon completition of their studies funded. The bursary beneficiaries will not be given permission to defer this contractual obligation. They will also not be granted permission to take a “gap” year.
Funza Lushaka Bursary beneficiaries will be expected to have and retain the same email address and a cell phone contact number for the period of the studies. This is mainly for the purposes of constant communication.
If the bursar fails to meet contractual obligations, he/she is liable to repay the bursary amount.This applies to all beneficiaries of Funza.
You are laible for the full bursary amount recieved since you started with the programme, should you fail to meet your obligations. There will be interest charged at a rate determined by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). NSFAS is administering the financial aspects of the bursary on behalf of the Department of Basic Education.
The bursary allocation is for one academic year and will be renewed upon submission of proof of academic success. There will be no renewal if no proof of academic progress is submitted. The bursary beneficiary will be required to re-apply from the 1st October each year.
The applicant should demonstrate good academic ability.
The applicant must demonstrate commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young students, enthusiasm for a professional career in education, readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity.
FUNZA LUSHAKA FIELDS OF STUDY
There are two types of programmes that get funded under Funza Lushaka Bursary. These are as follows:
(1.) A 4 year Bachelor of Education degree (BEd). You must specialize in one of the following:
- Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3)
- Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6)
- Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7-12).
(2.) A 1 year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
- This is for graduates whose degrees qualifications reflect two priority subjects where one module/course was successfully completed or
- studied at third year level while the second priority subject was successfully completed or
studied at second year level.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY?
The general requirements for the award of the bursary is as follows:
- The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme will targetstudents who are below 30 years of age to be considered for funding;
- All bursary applicants must be citizens of South Africa;
- The Funza Lushaka bursary applicants must be accepted into an approved Bachelor of Education degree or PGCE programme to specialize in two or more of the priority areas;
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic capabilities;
- An exemption, endorsement, or ‘admission to bachelor degree studies’ pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- At least a level 4 passes at matric level in the subject which leads on to the priority area/subject in which the applicant will specialize to teach.
- For students who wish to specialize in the Foundation Phase, a pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, a level 4 passes in the Home Language is required.
- Bursary applicants who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, and who do not have these subjects at matric level, must have at least a level 4 pass in Mathematics
- The Funza Lushaka bursary is a prestigious bursary aimed at attracting high quality students to become teachers. Thus it does not fund an extended programme.
- Students will need to meet the legal and institutional entrance requirements, and be accepted into a study programme before they can apply for the bursary.
- The applicant must demonstrate his/her commitment to a teaching career. This includes interest in working with young students; enthusiasm for a professional career in education; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges and personal integrity;
- The applicant must be willing to work as a teacher in any school to which a student may be placed by a Provincial Education Department (PED); and
- The outcome of the selection panel is final and there can be no negotiations that will be entered into to favor any applicant once selections are completed.
IS FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY STILL OPEN?
Applications for the bursary are now only open for 2023 academic year.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY?
Funza Lushaka online application for 2023 are now open.
Apply online via Funza Lushaka Bursary Application 2024
16 January 2024
LIST OF BURSARIES FOR 2024